Ancient tannery to be restored4 June 2008
Later this year, work will begin on the restoration of a tanning plant from the ancient world. It is located on the Pompeii excavation grounds near the Stabia Gate. The work will be sponsored by UNIC in collaboration with Pompeii’s archeological office. Although it was discovered between 1873 and 1874, excavations of the tannery were completed by Amadeo Maiuri in the 1950s. The building comprised the owner’s residence as well as the rooms devoted to the tanning process. At the back lie 15 round brick basins coated with cocciopesto (earthenware), complete with inlet and outlet holes. Twelve of these were used for vegetable tanning of hides, and three for rock alum tanning of skins.