Tens of thousands of pounds worth of goods and machinery were destroyed in a major fire that broke out at a leather factory situated in Ludhiana, India, yesterday morning. It took more than eight hours for the fire department to fully douse the flames.
Sadly, two firemen were injured as a cement shed on which they were standing collapsed. According to sources, the fire broke out at Chopra Industries Private Limited around 10:30am. The fire department was called at 10:53am.
According to fire officials, the fire broke out on the first floor where a huge quantity of leather goods, mainly seat covers, and machinery were kept. It is suspected that chemicals, also stocked on the first floor, were the reason the blaze became intense. Officials said there were no fire extinguishers at the factory. Nor had the factory owner obtained the NOC from the Fire Department.
It is thought that sparking in electricity wires is behind the fire, but the exact cause will only be ascertained after a thorough investigation.'