When looking through the list I am sure that you'll agree that all are major players in our industry and have been leading the way with new technologies, fashion and design, environmental control and modern working techniques and practices for many years. All are true entrepreneurs and should be celebrated as a success for the tanning industry.
In making the final selection we on the magazine looked at simple, straightforward criteria and choose what we considered to be the most worthy recipients to the inaugural Leather International magazine Power List Top 20. However, there are a number of individuals who may well be missing from this list but have just missed out this time around. As we intend to publish the Power List on an annual basis from now on there will be further opportunities to suggest suitable personalities in the future.
It is now up to you ‘the reader' to choose your own personal tanner of tanners from the list below. A debate, which I am sure, will vary greatly from one person to the next.
The criteria when choosing the Power List final 20:
- The most senior member of a large tanning group that has day-to-day involvement in the business.
- International tanners/groups with plants in different countries and regions.
- Company/group managing director level and above.
- Suppliers to the major brands (volume and/or luxury).
- Owners/senior person of single site mega-tannery's with high production volumes.
- People who have business power in the leather industry, decision makers and political influence where appropriate.
- Major suppliers of either or all of the following: upholstery, footwear, garment and leathergoods leathers.
- Who are the major players on the world stage: from Asia, South & North America, Europe, Africa & Middle East and the Indian sub-continent.
- We were NOT looking for senior figures from any parent companies not connected to tanning nor chemical/machinery suppliers, traders, associations or those connected to trade fairs, research associations or other trade bodies.