Two injured in fire at Kolkata leather complex tannery

17 October 2018

A fire broke out on 10 October at the Kolkata Leather Complex Tannery. Two people were injured, and one critically so; both were admitted to hospital.

It took a full two hours to finally extinguish the fire. According to sources smoke was noticed emanating from the tannery at around midday. Immediately, locals began shouting to alert those working inside. Most of the workers rushed out of the building, but two persons, identified as Rinku Mondal and Sagar Das, were somehow trapped inside.

The fire brigade and police were informed and within a short period of time, four fire engines reached the spot and began the rescue operation, while several firefighters went inside to locate the trapped pair.

In just a few minutes both trapped persons were recovered and sent directly to hospital. Fire brigade officials said the fire spread very quickly since the tannery was filled with leather, which meant it was difficult for the firefighters to extinguish it. It is understood that the fire occurred due to a short circuit, but police and fire brigade officials declined to comment.

Fire safety equipment on site will be investigated.



Privacy Policy
We have updated our privacy policy. In the latest update it explains what cookies are and how we use them on our site. To learn more about cookies and their benefits, please view our privacy policy. Please be aware that parts of this site will not function correctly if you disable cookies. By continuing to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy unless you have disabled them.