Government subsidies for effluent plants

12 September 2004

Pakistan's Trade Policy for 2004-05 (ending June 05), which aims to achieve a $13.7 billion export target, provides incentives to the leather industry. It is designed to meet WTO challenges by reducing the cost of doing business as well as by enhancing the capacity of producers to compete on a sustainable basis in the international market. It is the first time that the Pakistan government will give a subsidy for setting up effluent plants. It will give opportunities to foreign manufacturers of effluent plants to exploit the Pakistan market. In-house effluent plants will be imported with a duty rate of 5%. For industrial estate effluent treatment plants, the Pakistan government will contribute up to 75% of the cost, provided the remaining 25% is shared by provincial and district governments and stakeholders. The incentive for effluent treatment plants would also prove beneficial for the leather industry. The present effluent treatment plant being constructed by the Pakistan Tanners Association for the Korangi leather clusters will help fulfill the conditions of the WTO.

Privacy Policy
We have updated our privacy policy. In the latest update it explains what cookies are and how we use them on our site. To learn more about cookies and their benefits, please view our privacy policy. Please be aware that parts of this site will not function correctly if you disable cookies. By continuing to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy unless you have disabled them.