LHBTI supporting leather workers for 150 years15 January 2010
The UK based Leather and Hide Trades’ Benevolent Institution (LHTBI) have been supporting the leather industry for 150 years this year. The LHTBI was established in 1860 with a meeting held in a coffee shop on Ludgate Hill, London on July 4, 1860, and the first president was J S Deed. In 2010 the LHTBI will celebrate 150 years of service to former leather tannery workers and their dependents. The 150th president is Jill Williams of Pittards plc, the first female to preside in that time.
The first payments were made in 1863 when £18.14 ($29.74) was distributed to the needy. Last year, they distributed over £70,000 ($115,000) to their beneficiaries and, as the leather trade has shrunk in the UK, many of the applications we receive come via other charities for the elderly.
The LHTBI is still providing a service to pensioners who appreciate it greatly and the challenge is to continue to meet their needs with new ideas for fundraising as there is now such a small leather trade left in England. In recent years, they have had to reach outside the leather trade to ensure that they can continue for the next 50 years.
The LHTBI’s current chairman, William Tusting would be happy to hear from anyone wishing to assist the institution with a donation or fundraising opportunities. Visit www.lhtbi.org.uk for more information.