China’s leather exports were up by nearly 20 percent in 2022 while imports were down, according to Chen Zhanguang, chairman of the China Leather Industry association. Chen presented the statistics at a press conference during the Asia Pacific Leather Fair (APLF) in Dubai.
China’s leather industry generated sales revenue of 1.16 trillion yuan in 2022, decreasing slightly by 0.1% from the previous year. Exports of the entire leather supply chain amounted to US$107.55 billion, a year-on-year increase of 19.3%, while imports amounted to $17.27 billion, a decrease of 12.3% year-on-year.
- Imports of raw hides and skins were 1.21 million ton and US$1.35 billion, down by 3.1% and 6.9% compared to the previous year.
- Semi-finished leather imports were 502,000 tons and US$1.02 billion, declines of 15.8% and 18.3% year-on-year.
- Finished leather imports totaled 49,000 tons and US$900 million, declines of 24% and 18.3% year-on-year.
Leather Garment Industry
- China exported 10.23 million leather garments valued at of US$170 million, higher by 18.2% and 20.2% respectively over 2021.
- Imports were 337,000 leather garment totaling US$110 million, declines of 26.4% and 3.5% respectively from the previous year.
- In 2022, China exported 9.29 billion pairs of footwear for US$57.58 billion, increases of 6.6% and 20.4% year-on-year.
- Footwear imports totaled 190 million pairs and US$5.9 billion, down by 10.3% and 3.7% from the previous year.
- China exported 720 million pairs of leather shoes for US$11.46 billion, higher by 7.8% and 14.9% over the previous year. Leather shoe imports were 71 million pairs and US$2.8 billion, slightly lower by 0.2% and 0.8% from last year.
Post to: Delicious Digg reddit Facebook StumbleUpon